Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thinking About William Klein

When my recently married daughter Charlotte graduated from the Philadelphia's University of the Arts, the speaker that evening recalled her friendships with avant garde artists in 1950's New York City. Among the ones she mentioned was photographer, typographer and movie maker William Klein.

I spoke with her later and said, "I don't call him William Klein." She was puzzled. "What do you call him?"

"I call him the great William Klein," I said.

Here is a YouTube segment of Klein speaking about contact sheets and his approach to street photography:



I have another blog in which I try to publish a new photograph every day. Some are good. Whether the pictures are decent or not, I think about Klein's breathtaking street work constantly.

The great William Klein.

No comments: